If you’re looking to feel amazing over summer start your day with our beyond delicious (and super filling) forte green smoothie recipe.
This super duper healthy smoothie recipe was created by House of Home’s Senior Creative Sarah Radhanauth who swears by this concoction and has been adding it to her morning breakfast regime for years now. It's not only delicious and filling, it gives you energy and makes you feel great!
You can never really get bored of smoothies as they offer an opportunity to get really creative with the recipes. It's fun to experiment with different fruits and vegetables and create new taste sensations. Plus you can make them look pretty and colourful! A great way to start the day or inject some fun into an afternoon snack.
Benefits of a green smoothie.
Smoothies are great grab-and-go solution for those on the run but don't wan't to skip the most important meal of the day. Swapping out your standard toast breakfast for this smoothie a few days a week can leave you feeling less bloated, give you more energy and should help improve your skin, nails and hair. All while filling your body with nutrients and essential vitamins and minerals.
Every ingredient in the smoothie has been chosen for its health benefits, for example;
Bananas are a powerhouse of nutrients. They are a great source of potassium and iron and vitamins and minerals such as potassium, calcium, manganese, magnesium, iron, folate, niacin, riboflavin, and B6. B6 can help to boost serotonin production (the happy-mood brain neurotransmitter).
- Spinach is a true super food. It's of course if packed full of iron, high in niacin and zinc, as well as protein, vitamins A, C, E,K, B6, thiamin, folate, calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, copper, and manganese. Flavonoids in spinach act as antioxidants to keep cholesterol from oxidising and protect your body from free radicals. Studies have also shown that spinach helps maintain your vigorous brain function, memory and mental clarity.
- Avocado is also considered a super food that provides you with more potassium than bananas and Vitamin K, C, B5, B6 and E.
- Coconut Oil is fats can boost fat burning and provide your body and brain with quick energy. They also raise the good HDL cholesterol in your blood, which is linked to reduced heart disease risk.
- Turmeric contains curcumin, which has powerful anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.
- Cinnamon is an antioxidant that like Turmeric contains anti-inflammatory properties, it fights infections and viruses, along with diabetes and defends against cognitive decline while protecting brain function and promotes heart health.
How to rehydrate
While preparing your smoothie it’s good to start the day with a warm water with freshly squeezed lemon juice. This helps to create a more alkaline environment in your tummy and can help to flush the digestive system and rehydrate the body after sleeping for 8 hours without a drink.
Below is everything you need to create this wonderful breakfast bevy.
Green Smoothie Recipe
(Serves 2 and a bit in a mason jar or 3 in a normal glass)
- 2-3 Bananas (depending on if they are small or large)
- 2 Cups of Fresh Spinach
- A Third of a Cucumber
- 1 Celery Stick
- Half an Avocado
- A Sprig of Mint
- A Quarter Teaspoon of Cinnamon
- A Quarter Teaspoon of Nutmeg
- Half Teaspoon of Turmeric
- A Pinch of Cayenne Pepper (this helps to boost metabolism)
- A Teaspoon of Freshly Chopped Ginger
- Half Dessert Spoon of Almond Butter
- Half a Teaspoon of Coconut Oil
- I serve of Vanilla Protein Powder
- A Third of a Cup of Chia Seeds
- 1 Cup of Water
- 3 Ice Blocks
- A Handful of Blue Berries
- Sliced Kiwi Fruit
- Coconut Flakes
- 2 Bamboo Straws
- Lemon Juice
Preparation time: 10 minutes without garnish or 20 mins with.
- Start with the chia seeds. Put in a dish with a squeeze of lemon juice and soak until they become like a pudding. (They will be done by the time your finish preparing your fruit and veg). This could also be done the night before. Mix with blended blueberries if you would like to add some colour to them.
- Rinse vegetables.
- Dice banana, celery and cucumber, avocado and ginger.
- Place all ingredients (except your chia seeds) into blender & blend! It should have a reasonably thick consistency.
Now here’s the fun part!
- First layer your chia seeds at the bottom of your glass.
- Slice Kiwi Fruit into circles.
- Then cut a lemon in half and rub it around the perimeter of your glass. This will help the kiwi slices to stick.
- Place Kiwi fruit slices around the side of your glass, the chia seeds will help to keep them in place.
- Pour blended mixture into glass.
- Gently push strawberry over straw, follow with a blackberry and a slice of cucumber or mint leaf.
- Scatter some blueberries on top and sprinkle some coconut flakes.
Hey presto your green smoothie ready. Enjoy - it won’t be too long before you start feeling the benefits and seeing that green smoothie glow!
House of Home is an online marketplace. We bring together retailers from across Australia and let you search 80,000 plus products in one location. There’s no place like it.
Image Credits: Photography & Styling by Julia Chapman, Food Styling & Recipe by Sarah Radhanauth