With Australia experiencing one of its worst droughts in history, many households need another supply of water for everyday use whilst stringent water restrictions are in place.
Rain water tanks are a simple and effective solution to collect and store rain water which is typically run off from drainage gutters from the home, or garage, roof.
Simple activities like supplying your garden with fresh water and flushing your toilet are now made so much easier with the ability to use and maintain your own water supply.
There are many benefits for using a rain water tank and they are no longer the eyesore they once were, making them an important addition to any existing or new home.
Rain water tanks are available in slimline, round, underground, aboveground models just to name a few and, are now more readily available to be used in urban properties with their new sizing and shape designs and colours.
Benefits of using rain water tanks include:
- They can be connected to your taps and hoses to be used to water your plants, wash your car and to top up your pool during water restriction periods.
- They can be used for indoor applications such as the toilet and washing machine. This will need to be connected, by a qualified plumber, to your mains water supply and fitted with a backflow prevention device so as not to contaminate your water supply.
- They can reduce your water bill by using the harvested water from your tank on high consumption activities such as washing the car and watering the garden.
- They can lower your impact on the environment by reducing the amount of mains water you use.
- They can reduce your storm water drainage run off and reuse it in an environmentally friendly way.
Please be mindful, using water from your rain water tank as drinking water is not recommended. Furthermore, be sure to check with your local council about their rules and regulations on installing and using your rain water tank.