Welcome to House of Home!
We are thrilled to have you onboard as a member, and look forward to being a part of your digital promotion strategy. We've put together this Nine Step guide for you to help you get the most out of your House of Home subscription. It guides you through everything from best practice in setting up & establishing your account, then tips on developing your profile to maximise your results, and then suggestions for amplifying your reach and result even further.
If you would like any additional help along the way, don't hestitate to call the team.
9) Data & Insights Reporting
Step 1. What do you want to achieve?
Congratulations you’ve signed up to House of Home – you are on the road to growing your business’ digital footprint and reach.
To get the most out of your House of Home account, the first thing you need to do is be clear on what you want the account to do for your business.
- Do you want to sell products online?
- Do you want to drive traffic instore?
- Do you want people to book a consultation with your service business?
Whatever it is that you want to achieve make sure that all of your messaging supports that outcome. So take the reins, and tell the right story for your business.
Step 2 The Basics – Setting up your store page
- Fill out the Retailer Page – here are some tips on writing a great store description
- Use strong indicative imagery and a store video if you have one.
- Plus fill in your Advert Page Information – our tip include reasons for the consumer to buy from you rather than generic marketing information.
- Personalise your Shipping & Delivery Policy
- Personalise your returns, refunds and exchange policy
Get some reviews – a store with reviews always gives other customers confidence to buy, enquire or come instore.
Here’s some more information about reviews.
TIP: The team at House of Home are always there to help and assist you, but you know your business best, so take the time to personalize your store page & policies.
Step 3 – Getting your ads found – Imagery & Keywords
When you advertise on a marketplace, there are two key things that are going to help you stand out and be found:
- Great imagery
We recommend – crisp, hi resolution imagery that clearly shows what the product is as your first image.
For subsequent images you can use images with text to illustrate or explain a particular feature, or an insitu image.
You can upload multiple images and a video for each ad.
Consumers come to a Marketplace because there is a much wider range of product, but this does mean in many categories that there are a lot of listings. In this scenario people will often narrow their search by keyword.
The search on House of Home indexes the taxonomy, title and description of a product.
If consumers are looking for your product using a particular phrase, use that phrase in your ad:
- If you know people search mid-century looking for your product, include the phrase mid century in your ad title or description.
- If you know people search ethical, ethically sourced, or fair trade, then make sure that phrase is either in your ad title or ad description.
Remember - if the key phrase is not there your listing won’t appear in the keyword search results. Being found in the search will help drive views, great imagery and a clear descriptive title will drive clicks.
Step 4. Ads that convert, plus Automation
When you’ve got your ads being viewed and clicked, the next step is to engage the consumer to act.
This is where being clear on Step One, and what you want to achieve comes in.
If your goal is to drive people in store then your ads should include:
- Store Opening and Closing Hours
- Reference that an item is on display
- Invite a customer to come in and touch and feel
- Emphasise staff expertise
If your goal is to sell online, then you need to make sure that your ads are written to support just that outcome.
Read your ad through a consumer’s eyes:
- Does it answer the obvious questions?
- Is it clear what I am buying?
- Add the item to cart – is there alignment between the photo, description and option in the cart?
If you are wanting to sell online, don’t talk about coming instore for advice – make sure everything that is needed for the customer to buy is covered in the ad.
TIP – not all ads have to be buy online, and not all ads have to drive enquiry or traffic instore – make the ad type right for the product you are seling.
TIP – if this sounds like a lot of work, focus on your most popular products and get those ads performing well.
Next Level - Automation
We can then help reduce the maintenance of your ads by automating updates of stock levels, pricing and sale prices. Talk to us about API connection options for your webstore. Learn more about APIs.
Step 5. Being a great Retailer
Being a great retailer requires skill, but there are three really simple things you can do to make sure you are as successful online as you are offline.
- Make sure you’ve got the right offer
- Engage with your customer
- Keep your store looking great
Make sure you’ve got the right offer
This is Retail 101 –no matter how good your store looks or how good your service levels are if you don’t have the right product, at the right price its not going to sell.
Selling online you need to extend this to include the right shipping rates and policies. Shipping costs are one of the biggest barriers to consumers buying online.
Engage with your customer
So you’ve done the hard work – you’ve got your ads noticed, your customer has engaged with you via email, phone, instore or an order.
What now? Well its surprising how many retailers work so hard to get the lead, and then don’t do anything with it. What? Surely not? Well its true.
We’ve got so many examples of retailers who whinge about results, but then don’t respond to an email enquiry – ever.
So here’s a gentle reminder – no matter how a customer comes to your business, they still deserve (and expect!) great service. Work with everyone on your team to make sure that:
- Phone calls are returned
- Email enquiries responded to
- And e-commerce Orders are sent on time
They are all small things – but that’s how you grow sales.
Tip: Make sure everyone on your staff knows that you advertise via House of Home, so that when someone rings, emails or comes instore that they can confidently talk to them about the products listed on your store page.
Tip: when a customer comes to you via House of Home, they are coming to your store, for your product. They want to be your customer. So take care of them! The House of Home team are always there to support you, but don’t waste the opportunity to win a new customer.
Merchandise your Store Page & Listings
We recommend making someone on your team responsible for your House of Home account. Encourage them to:
- Keep your range on House of Home current
- Improve ads
- Maximise results from good performing products.
- Update your store page photos
- Regularly review your policies.
Step 6. Become a House of Home Master
House of Home offers lots of great add on features beyond just listing products.
Did you know that you can:
- Offer product customization
- Create promotion discounts
- Book services or consultations directly through the site
New features launch regularly that make searching and buying online easier. Keep up to date with how to’s through the Retailer EDM.
Interested in learning more?
Step 7. Understanding the Levers to grow your results
Once you’ve got your team on board, your account well set up and your ads looking great, its good to understand how you can get the best out of House of Home, and what levers are available.
Here is a list of some of the things you can do to drive your results on House of Home:
- Featured Ads – these are a super simple thing to do, but they work so well. Featuring an ad takes it to the top of the search results. We recommend doing it for popular products, or new hot products.
- Use the promotion engine. If you are running a promotion on your site, you can replicate the promotion on House of Home. Let us know about your promo and we’ll include it in our popular Savings section on the Home Page.
- Read the monthly Retailer News – we regularly include call outs for products for editorials.
- When you are featured in a House of Home editorial make sure you share it through your own channels – social, edm and a link on your site. We create high quality editorial content, so be excited about being included and share it!
- Make sure your new stock makes it on to House of Home – 30% of our visitors are regulars – they are looking for fresh new stock. And don’t forget to let us know about what’s new in store.
Step 8. Amplifying Activity
Once your account is working well there are lots of opportunities to stand out and amplify your results.
We specialize in creating campaigns that leverage our engaged audience and can work with you to achieve your business objectives.
We’ve successfully created campaigns that have driven:
- Warehouse Sales
- Instore Sales
- Database sign ups
- Social Following
- Brand recognition
- New brand and product launches
- Successful New store openings
- Constant branding campaigns
- Content Creation
- Content Amplification
Talk to us about how we can help you achieve your marketing goals.